Established in 1999 as a non-profit performing arts company, Cape Town Opera is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre in the Foreshore area of Cape Town and is currently South Africa’s only full-time opera company. The recipient of two International Opera Awards, annual activities include fully staged opera productions in Cape Town, national music education programs for primary and secondary school learners, and national and international touring of operas and concerts. The company has a current staff complement of 4 soloists, 18 chorus members, 9 young artists and 25 artistic and administrative staff, overseen by a seven-member Board of Directors.
The warehouse manager will be responsible for the overall management of Cape Town Opera’s dedicated storage areas at the Artscape Epping facility – sets, props, furniture and costumes – and the daily operations of the dedicated storage spaces.
The role is multifaceted and requires strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, the ability to develop and implement effective organizational systems, and the ability to lead and motivate a variety of teams.
The ideal applicant possesses the following:
- Relevant experience in warehouse management, stock-taking and procurement in the retail, commercial, theatre or film industry;
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize effectively;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to manage changing priorities;
- Strong leadership and team management skills;
- Strong computer skills;
- Strong knowledge of health and safety protocols and regulations;
- Experience with warehouse management systems and inventory management software an advantage.
- Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays as required;
- A valid SA driver’s licence and own transport to and from Epping;
- Must be legally able to work in South Africa.
The key responsibilities of the Warehouse Manager are:
- Coordinating the storage of all scenic elements;
- Distribution and receiving of goods, which includes, but is not limited to: booking sets, props and costumes in and out of storage, and receiving construction/scenic painting materials and hardware;
- Managing the ad-hoc and transport crews working on site;
- Maintaining accurate inventory records and developing accurate systems to record and track stock;
- Ensuring that the storage facilities are well organised, clean and comply with health and safety regulations;
- Assist with the cleaning, maintenance and repair of small scenic elements, props and furniture;
- Work in collaboration with other departments, tenants and Cape Town Opera contractors, e.g. set builders and scenic painters, to ensure that production delivery deadlines are met; this includes sourcing and procuring materials and the required stock timeously;
- Keep accurate stock records;
- Overseeing the set load-in and load-out at various performance venues;
- Managing the budget for the warehouse, including forecasting and tracking expenses, identifying cost-saving opportunities, and developing strategies to increase efficiency and reduce waste.
Key performance indicators
The successful applicant will fulfil the following:
- Ensure that the inventory is counted and recorded accurately, and that there are no discrepancies between the physical inventory and the inventory records;
- Ensure that all sourcing and procurement is processed accurately, efficiently and timeously;
- Optimize the use of space, equipment, and labour to ensure that the warehouse operations are as productive as possible;
- Maintain healthy, productive relationships with staff, ad-hoc personnel and contractors;
- Ensure that all safety protocols are followed, and that the risk of accidents and injuries is minimized.
The position is for seven months (contract) and is based at Artscape’s Production Warehouse in Epping, Cape Town.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday, 15 April 2023. The anticipated start date for the position is 1 May 2023.
- A covering letter detailing your specific interest in and skills applicable to the position;
- Your CV, along with three contactable references.
Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com; all information will be kept confidential.
Cape Town Opera celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
Cape Town Opera reserves the right not to make an appointment.