Wardrobe & Costume Assistant
The Costume assistant works closely with the Wardrobe manager to determine and fulfil the various requirements for all CTO operas, concerts, events and activities.
The individual is required to demonstrate:
- Basic knowledge of the theatre production process
- Good verbal communication skills
- Basic computer and administrative skills
- An ability to work within a structured department and as part of a team
- The ability to work independently and execute instructions
- The ability to take a hands-on role in the preparations for a production
- The ability to work flexible hours
- The ability to work under pressure on many projects and work with people of varying experience levels.
Key Performance Areas, Key Activities and Responsibilities:
- Work as part of the Costume team to realise the production design and meet production deadlines.
- Understand the design brief and the costume requirements and execute detailed instructions from their team leader.
- Maintenance and cleaning of existing and new costumes
- Assist with costume shopping, exchanges and petty cash reconciliation
- Sourcing of costumes from existing collections/stock
- Relaying of information to costume manufacturers/artists/suppliers on behalf of the Wardrobe manager.
- Set up & preparation of work areas such as fitting rooms and dressing rooms.
- Assist artists with their costumes during performances and concerts.
- Compile show archive files such as taking photographs, listing costume details etc.
- Assist the wardrobe manager with keeping a detailed stock inventory
- Daily assistance in organizing and maintaining neat and safe workspaces within the general wardrobe and costume manufacturing department.
The position is a one year contract commencing 01 July 2022 and is based at the Cape Town Opera offices at the Artscape building in Cape Town.
Applicants should send a cover letter, CV and two contactable recent references to: Gerald Petersen firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 27 May 2022. No phone calls, please.