Established in 1999 as a non-profit performing arts company, Cape Town Opera is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre in the Foreshore area of Cape Town and is currently South Africa’s only full–time opera company. The recipient of two International Opera Awards, annual activities include fully staged opera productions in Cape Town, national music education programs for primary and secondary school learners, and national and international touring of operas and concerts. The company has a current staff complement of 4 soloists, 18 chorus members, 9 young artists and 26 artistic, administrative and production staff, overseen by an eight-member Board of Directors.
The Transport Manager will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of transportation logistics, including scheduling, maintenance, and coordination of vehicles for all Cape Town Opera productions and educational programmes. As Transport Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring that all transportation activities are carried out as efficiently, cost effectively, and safely as possible. The Transport Manager is also a key part of the driving team.
The ideal applicant possesses the following:
1. At least 5 years of experience in a transportation management role, preferably in the performing arts or entertainment industry;
2. Strong attention to detail and excellent organisational skills;
3. Knowledge of regulations, transportation safety standards, and best practices;
4. Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills;
5. Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities;
6. Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to make quick, effective decisions.
7. Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays;
8. A valid SA driver’s licence and own transport to and from the Artscape Theatre Centre and Artscape’s Epping storage facility;
9. Clear criminal and credit record;
10. Must be legally able to work in South Africa.
The key responsibilities of the Transport Manager are:
1. Manage all transport requirements and schedules as efficiently, cost-effectively and safely as possible, minimising overtime and external transport requirements and maximising the use of our assets;
2. Act as driver of first call for all transport requirements;
3. Manage and maintain the Company’s transportation fleet, ensuring that all vehicles are properly licensed, insured, and maintained to meet safety standards;
4. Ensure a first-class standard of presentation with regard to the livery and appearance of vehicles;
5. Manage the timely and efficient transportation of equipment, sets, artists and crew to and from the production site, in coordination with the Head of Production;
6. Manage all ground transportation/freighting/shipping of scenery for touring productions, in coordination with the Head of Production;
7. Coordinate with the Head of Youth Development and Education to ensure that the safe and efficient transportation of all learners as required for development programmes;
8. Coordinate with the Head of Audience Development to ensure the safe and efficient transportation of audience members as required;
9. Develop and implement transportation policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all regulations;
10. Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors to ensure the availability of transport services when required;
11. Monitor and track all transportation-related expenses, including fuel, maintenance, and repairs, and ensure that they are within budget;
12. Manage full-time and ad-hoc drivers, ensuring that they are trained, motivated, and efficient.
Key performance indicators
The following KPIs will measure the success of the candidate in the role:
1. Efficient, cost-effective, and safe management of the Company’s transportation needs, minimising overtime and external transport usage. This includes planning efficient routes and maximizing asset utilisation, as well as keeping transportation expenses to a minimum;
2. On-time performance;
3. Ensure that transportation is conducted in the safest possible manner and that all safety protocols and measures are strictly followed to minimise the risk of accidents and injuries;
4. Monitor the upkeep of the Company’s vehicles, including conducting regular inspections, maintenance, and repairs to keep them in good working condition;
5. Coordinate with the Managing Director to manage and maintain the Company’s vehicle livery, ensuring that it remains consistent and reflects the Company’s brand and image;
6. Build and maintain positive relationships with staff, ad-hoc personnel, and contractors.
The position is for 1 year and is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre, Foreshore, Cape Town.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday, 15 June 2023. The anticipated start date for the position is 1 July 2023.
1. A covering letter detailing your specific interest in and skills applicable to the position;
2. Your CV, along with three contactable references;
3. A valid police clearance certificate.
Applications should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; all information will be kept confidential.
Cape Town Opera celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
Cape Town Opera reserves the right not to make an appointment.