To be South Africa’s best-positioned opera company, able to give full expression locally and internationally to the excellence of the country’s world-class singing talent in the operatic art form.
- To produce a diverse programme of operas and other musical works, including core repertoire, new commissions and innovative projects, which serve South African performers and audiences;
- To nurture and provide the best training to develop South African voices to the highest level of excellence;
- To engage with local communities to create jobs and provide education about opera as an art form, thereby investing in the future of opera in South Africa;
- Build capacity for the future of opera as a performing art;
- To engage in the global business of opera as a respected and equal partner.
CODE OF ETHICS
Cape Town Opera commits itself to upholding the following code of ethics and company values:
To recognise and appreciate the contributions and support of our members, volunteers and donors;
To be honest, transparent, credible and fair in our interactions with each other and with others;
To respect each other and others; the operatic art form; our diverse cultural heritage; the CTO brand, policies and values;
To plan and manage our resources in the interest of an enhanced, sustainable future for opera and its practioners in South Africa.
Embrace collaborations with partners, artists and our community;
Value the importance of being able to think and work creatively and find imaginative solutions to support the company’s progress;
To deliver excellence in all that we do;
Strive to have a diverse team that is reflective of our community and celebrate the way that difference can drive creativity; proactive in engaging with people and making our work and practice accessible;
Being open to new impulses and directions and embracing original thoughts and ideas; confident about pushing boundaries and challenging ourselves in what we do as a company;
To be totally committed to everything that we undertake.