Established in 1999 as a non-profit performing arts company, Cape Town Opera is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre in the Foreshore area of Cape Town and is South Africa’s and Africa’s only full-time opera company. Annual activities include fully staged opera productions in Cape Town, national music education programs for primary and secondary school learners, and national and international touring of operas and concerts. The company has a current staff compliment of 18 chorus members, 4 young artists, 2 soloists, and 22 administrators and management, overseen by a nine-member Board of Directors.
Cape Town Opera celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
Cape Town Opera seeks a full-time Répétiteur to join the company’s music staff from September 2022 onward.
The applicant must be an accomplished pianist, fluent in sight-reading vocal scores, with an interest in and understanding of operatic repertoire. A good communicator and fluent in English, the applicant will have a passion for and interest in the development of opera singers. Artistic duties are to be performed at Cape Town Opera rehearsal rooms and area performance venues.
The position is full-time and is supervised by the Cape Town Opera Head Vocal Coach/Répétiteur. Work hours may include weekends and holidays. The successful applicant must be willing to tour nationally or internationally, if necessary, in conjunction with Cape Town Opera’s production and concert schedule.
- A Bachelor’s degree in piano or vocal coaching;
- Experience playing conducted rehearsals for opera productions and playing keyboard parts in the orchestra pit or recitatives in performance;
- Ability to sing cues while playing;
- Familiarity with the standard operatic repertoire, including the ability to accompany audition repertoire;
- Reliable diction knowledge of Italian, German and French;
- Team spirit and interest in the progress of singers and success of productions.
- Coaching solo singers in any role they may be required to perform;
- Backstage cueing and acting as a musical assistant to the conductor;
- Instruction of diction in operatic languages, musical styles, and any other skills associated with operatic performance;
- Serving as pianist/répétiteur, as required, for rehearsals and performances of operas, concerts, masterclasses, lectures/demonstrations or other musical productions;
- Accompanying singers for any auditions as required by Cape Town Opera.
Compensation, application procedure and start date
Applications for the first round of the selection process will be accepted from 15 June – 15 July 2022. CVs and a list of three contactable references should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; all information will be kept confidential. Successful applicants will be invited to audition for the second round; details will be made available at the appropriate time.
Compensation information will be provided to successful applicants. References will be contacted only on prior notification to the applicant. The anticipated start date is 1 September 2022. Cape Town Opera reserves the right not to make an appointment.