Patterncutter & Seamster/Seamstress
The Costumier works closely with the Wardrobe manager to determine and fulfil the various requirements for all CTO operas, concerts, events and activities.
The individual is required to demonstrate:
- A good knowledge of the theatre and film production process.
- A good knowledge and skill in garment construction – design interpretation, fabrics, pattern draughting, measurements and sewing.
- Good verbal communication skills
- An ability to work within approved department budgets.
- The ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather/analyze information successfully.
- Resourcefulness, the ability to interpret a design, research and source required products
- The ability to take a hands-on role in the preparations for a production
- The ability to work well in a team and group problem-solving situations
- The ability to work flexible hours
- The ability to work under pressure on many projects and work with people of varying experience levels.
- Good time management skills to meet production deadlines.
- Self-discipline and reliability
Key Performance Areas, Key Activities and Responsibilities:
- Work under supervision of the Wardrobe manager and team leaders as part of the wardrobe team.
- Participate in the brief from the Costume designer and Director to thoroughly understand the vision and requirements of the production
- Assist with practical solutions to implement the design and create all required garments.
- Sourcing and purchasing of the required materials, within the allocated budget and under supervision of the Wardrobe Manager.
- Research on construction methods to realise design if required
- Manufacturing of various and specialized garment styles and time periods
- Handling and maintenance of sewing machines, overlockers, steamers, irons.
- Assist production department in organizing and maintaining neat and safe workspaces.
The position is a one year contract commencing 01 July 2022 and is based at the Cape Town Opera offices at the Artscape building in Cape Town.
Applicants should send a cover letter, CV and two contactable recent references to: Gerald Petersen firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 27 May 2022. No phone calls, please.