Established in 1999 as a non-profit performing arts company, Cape Town Opera is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre in the Foreshore area of Cape Town and is currently the only permanently active opera company on the African continent and one of the largest performing arts institutions in South Africa.
The recipient of two International Opera Awards, annual activities include fully staged opera productions in Cape Town, national music education programs for primary and secondary school learners, and national and international touring of operas and concerts.
The company has a current staff complement of 4 soloists, 19 chorus members, 10 young artists and 24 artistic, administrative and production staff, overseen by an eight-member Board of Directors.
Cape Town Opera serves as a shining example of the best that South Africa has to offer, dedicating itself to excellence, inclusivity, and employment within the arts.
The Office Administrator will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of day-to-day operations at the Cape Town Opera offices, providing general administrative support, and assisting the Managing Director with specific tasks.
In addition to committing to upholding the Cape Town Opera Company Values, the ideal applicant possesses the following:
- Three-year tertiary degree or diploma.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other office software.
- Professional and friendly demeanour, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Reliable, with a strong respect for punctuality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organisational and multitasking abilities.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure, with a willingness to go the extra mile to ensure tasks are completed on time and to the highest standard.
- Ability to be discrete and respect confidentiality are essential.
- Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays, as required.
- A valid SA driver’s licence and own transport to and from work.
- Clear criminal and credit record.
- Must be legally able to work in South Africa.
- A passion for the arts, particularly opera, is an advantage.
The key responsibilities of the position are:
- Serve as the front desk receptionist for the office, welcoming guests, handling incoming calls and making coffee and tea for visitors, as required.
- General administrative tasks including filing, correspondence and data entry.
- Assistance with governance and board administration, including CIPC updates, BBBEE certification and assembling board packs.
- Coordinating and managing schedules, meetings and events, internally as well as with external parties.
- Maintaining the office supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing orders and verifying receipt.
- Coordinating with external vendors and service providers.
- Support with preparation and delivery of internal and external documents and communications.
- Assisting the Finance Department with invoicing and other tasks, if necessary.
- Assisting with catering requirements for functions and events.
- Preparing meeting agendas and taking and disseminating minutes of the meeting.
- Conducting research and providing reports, as requested, by the Managing Director.
- Provide assistance, as required, at productions, concerts and events, including with ticketing, programme sales, banners and hospitality.
- Maintaining the company contact list.
The position is for 1 year, with the possibility of extension, and is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre, Foreshore, Cape Town, South Africa.
The deadline for applications is Friday, 13 October 2023.
- A covering letter detailing your specific interest in and skills applicable to the position;
- Your CV;
- Three contactable references.
Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com; all information will be kept confidential.
Cape Town Opera celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
Cape Town Opera reserves the right not to make an appointment.