Head of Marketing
Established in 1999 as a non-profit performing arts company, Cape Town Opera is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre in the Foreshore area of Cape Town and is currently the only permanently active opera company on the African continent and one of the largest performing arts institutions in South Africa. The recipient of two International Opera Awards, annual activities include fully staged opera productions in Cape Town, national music education programs for primary and secondary school learners, and national and international touring of operas and concerts. The company has a current staff complement of 4 soloists, 19 chorus members, 10 young artists and 24 artistic, administrative and production staff, overseen by an eight-member Board of Directors.
Cape Town Opera serves as a shining example of the best that South Africa has to offer, dedicating itself to excellence, inclusivity, and employment within the arts.
We are in search of a dynamic and experienced Head of Marketing to lead Cape Town Opera’s marketing and audience development initiatives. This pivotal role involves spearheading Cape Town Opera’s marketing campaigns across various platforms, protecting and building the Cape Town Opera brand and executing innovative strategies to broaden and diversify our audience.
The perfect fit for this role is someone who flourishes in a fast-paced, energetic atmosphere and exhibits resilience and flexibility. Your ability to navigate high-pressure situations, commitment to fulfilling job demands beyond standard hours and enthusiasm for seeing Cape Town Opera succeed in fulfilling its vision and mission will distinguish you as the ideal candidate to join our talented and dedicated team.
The ideal applicant possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field, and/or at least 5-7 years of professional experience in a senior marketing role, with a proven track record of success.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite and email marketing platforms. Proficiency with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software an advantage.
- Fluency, both written and verbal, in English. Professional-level copywriting skills in English highly advantageous.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and hands-on experience with contemporary digital technologies and platforms advantageous.
- Knowledge of and love for the arts, particularly opera, advantageous.
- Dynamic, proactive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Strong organisational and project management skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to solve problems.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure, with a willingness to go the extra mile to ensure tasks are completed on time and to the highest standard.
- Exceptional leadership and team management skills as well as ability to work as part of a team.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Professional manner and appearance.
- Ability and willingness to work long hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, as required.
- A valid SA driver’s licence and own transport to and from work.
- Clear criminal and credit record.
- Must be legally able to work in South Africa.
The key responsibilities of the position are:
- Spearhead Cape Town Opera’s multifaceted marketing efforts, encompassing both print and digital platforms. Devise and execute forward-thinking marketing strategies that not only promote Cape Town Opera’s productions and educational programmes but also optimise ticket sales and increase box office revenue for Cape Town Opera performances.
- Implement innovative strategies to expand and diversify Cape Town Opera’s audience base, including active outreach initiatives to schools, homes for the elderly, and other community institutions.
- Strengthen and preserve Cape Town Opera’s brand identity, ensuring its resonance and relevance with diverse audiences, locally and internationally.
- Actively engage in close collaboration with our publicist to ensure that marketing strategies are not only in alignment with public communications but also optimised for maximum impact and reach.
- Manage the preparation, production and distribution of compelling content – visual and written – for use across various platforms and in marketing materials, including the company’s website, newsletter, digital marketing channels, press releases, production, concert and event programmes and annual reports.
- Systematically gather and organise data, including performance metrics, audience statistics, and educational program participation, throughout the year, for use in reports as required.
- Coordinate all aspects of promotional events, including venue selection, branding initiatives, and catering arrangements.
- Manage the listing of productions on ticketing platforms, ensuring accuracy and accessibility while proactively managing all ticket-related inquiries. Oversee the allocation and distribution of complimentary tickets, maintaining detailed records and clear communication with relevant parties.
- Manage and update, in conjunction with the Development department, the Company’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
- Foster strong relationships with local and international media, and manage media outreach, press releases, and event promotions.
- Cultivate partnerships with other arts institutions, sponsors, and stakeholders, locally and internationally, to enhance the company’s reach and resources.
- Manage marketing department income and expenditure, and ensure the most effective use of resources for maximum return on investment.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of all marketing campaigns, making data-driven decisions to optimise outcomes.
- Manage, mentor, and supervise staff involved in the marketing department, fostering a collaborative and innovative working environment.
- Work closely with other departments, especially the artistic and administrative teams, ensuring consistent and clear communication.
- Report to Cape Town Opera Board on all marketing and publicity activities, as required.
The position is full time and is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre, Foreshore, Cape Town, South Africa.
The deadline for applications is Saturday, 25 November 2023.
- A motivational letter detailing your specific interest in and skills applicable to the position;
- Your CV;
- Three contactable references.
Please note that applications that do not meet all three of the requirements listed above will not be considered.
Applications should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; all information will be kept confidential.
Cape Town Opera celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
Cape Town Opera reserves the right not to make an appointment.