Assistant Stage Manager
Company: The Cape Town Opera Company
Position: Assistant Stage Manager Intern
Reports to: Head of Production
Location: Artscape Theatre Centre, Cape Town, South Africa
Established in 1999 as a non-profit performing arts company, Cape Town Opera is based at the Artscape Theatre Centre in the Foreshore area of Cape Town and is currently South Africa’s only full-time opera company. The recipient of two International Opera Awards, annual activities include fully staged opera productions in Cape Town, national music education programs for primary and secondary school learners, and national and international touring of operas and concerts. The company has a current staff complement of 4 soloists, 18 chorus members, 9 young artists and 25 artistic and administrative staff, overseen by a seven-member Board of Directors.
Cape Town Opera is excited to announce that we have a 12-month internship opportunity available for an Assistant Stage Manager. Funded by one of the big four banks, this opportunity is open to candidates meeting the criteria listed below. As a vital member of our organization, you will be responsible supporting the Stage Manager and Production Team in the planning and execution of all rehearsals and performances, enabling us to continue delivering outstanding performances and inspiring audiences around the world.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required;
- Knowledge of the theatrical production process;
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather/analyse information successfully;
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift and move furniture and props.
- A minimum qualification of matric;
- Must be a South African citizen;
- Must be between 18 and 34 years of age;
- Preference will be given to individuals from a previously disadvantaged background;
- Have never held a fulltime position before (this is a FirstJob opportunity) and preferably have not participated in a learnership or internship before;
- Live within 40 kms from our offices, which are situated at the Artscape Theatre Centre, 1 – 10 DF Malan Street, Foreshore, Cape Town;
- Are not currently in fulltime studies and able to attend this internship full time;
- Are willing to be subjected to a credit and criminal check or any industry specific checks required for your job role.
Areas of responsibility and learning
- Assisting the Production Manager/Designer to source and gather the required props for productions;
- Providing a detailed show track and props archive photographs for the production file;
- Assist production team in maintaining Cape Town Opera storage spaces in a neat, organized and safe condition;
- Attend all rehearsals and performances, taking notes and maintaining a detailed record of stage directions, blocking, props, and costumes;
- Assist the Stage Manager in communicating with the creative team, performers, and crew;
- Assist with set up and breakdown of rehearsal spaces and performance venues;
- Assist in the coordination of rehearsals and performances, including scheduling, call times, and running order;
- Assist with the organization and tracking of props, costumes, and scenic elements;
- Assist with backstage operations, including scene changes, prop management, and performer movement;
- Attend production meetings and provide input as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
Key performance indicators
The following KPIs will be used to measure and evaluate the success of the intern:
- Promptness: being on time for all rehearsals, meetings, and performances;
- Communication: effective communication with the Stage Manager, performers, and crew;
- Organization: keeping accurate and up-to-date notes;
- Attention to detail: ensuring all elements of the production are properly organized and executed according to the Stage Manager’s instructions;
- Adaptability: flexibility and willingness to adapt to changes in rehearsal schedules, production plans, or other unforeseen circumstances;
- Teamwork: ability to work collaboratively with other members of the production team;
- Initiative: taking the initiative to identify and solve problems or issues that arise during rehearsals or performances;
- Safety compliance: ensuring the safety of performers, crew, and audience members by adhering to established safety protocols and guidelines;
- Professionalism: conducting oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and offstage.
Please submit a complete CV to Gerald Petersen – Geraldp@capetownopera.co.za
Deadline for submissions is 9 May 2023.
Cape Town Opera celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
Cape Town Opera reserves the right not to make an appointment.